Chai Tow Kway
This is a traditional Teochew recipe that is very popular in Southeast Asia. It is not to be mistaken as carrot cake also known as a fried carrot cake because the main ingredient refers to carrot. This is a recipe that is a popular Street side dish available in night markets and yum cha places.
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 5 to 8
- Cook method: pan- fry
- Cuisine: Malaysian and Singaporean
- 500 g daikon grated or finely shredded
- 200 g rice flour
- 15 g wheat starch
- 15 g Cornflower
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Approximately 800 ml water
For frying the carrot cake:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- 400 g steamed carrot cake cut into 1/2 inch cute pieces
- 1 tablespoon preserve salted radish
- Two cloves chopped garlic
- 1-teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2-teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2-teaspoon sugar
- One large egg beaten +1/4 teaspoon soy sauce and dash of pepper
- 1/2-teaspoon sambal chili
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons green onions chopped
- Grease a 20 cm a square or round pan, set it aside and prepare the steamer.
- Take the grated radish squeeze out the juice in a separate bowl. Add additional water to the daikon juice to make 900 mL of liquid.
- Mix rice flour, wheat starch, corn flour, salt, pepper and sugar into the liquid. Make sure the batter is stirred until smooth.
- Put the radish in a large pot and heat on medium-high heat. Make sure you continue to stir for a few minutes and let any excess liquid evaporate. Add the battery continue stirring to mix evenly. Cook till the batter thickens and turned starchy. Turn off the heat and continue to stir to mix well and pour it into the greased pan and make sure it is level.
- Steam for 45 minutes till cooked. The cake will firm when cooled and refrigerate so it is easy to cut into cubes for frying.
- In a nonstick wok or pan add oil and place over a high heat. When heated up, add the cubed care cake into the pan. Spread it out to be careful of oil splattering. Leave it to cook on one side for 1 to 2 minutes and then turn over to fry the other side.
- When both sides are crisp and golden brown, push the cube aside with a spatula. Using the spatula, bring the oil to the center and add garlic and the preserved radish. Saut' for one half minute and using the spatula combined with the carrot cake. Drizzle in the soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar and samba. Mix it all thoroughly.
- Arrange the carrot cake in the center of the pan in one layer. Slowly add the beaten egg mixture over the entire surface. Use a spatula to move the characteristics of the egg settles in between the pieces. Leave it for a minute to crisp up.
- Use a spatula and cut it into cubes and cook the other side for one half minute. Flip back and forth. Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with chopped scallions.